View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #98
sgaylord
Project collector

Re: Project "Jezebel"

Good progress this weekend. I was able to get both cab corners replaced. I would like to say it was done without incident however that is not the case. There were a few areas where I blew through welding the cab corners, as well as a larger gap in the right side cab corner than I had liked. To fix the abnormal gap I ended up placing a 1" backing strip along the inside and welded it in to bridge the gap. I figure that will not be an issue since it's inside the cab, away from moisture and sight. For the blow through's, I just waited for it to cool, lowered the setting on the welder slightly until I got past that area, then reset the amperage and moved on.

Other than the issues mentioned above there was really no other major incidents. Lot's of grinding. One of these days I hope to get better at welding so I don't spend so much time grinding...

I don't know the name of this piece, for the sake of this discussion lets call it a "B" pillar to rocker patch.
Name:  101_0355.JPG
Views: 1544
Size:  34.1 KB

As you can see from this pic it's about 1/4 too short. Oh the beauties of aftermarket.... Not too big a deal. I will cut and form it to fit better after I install the door to mock-up the rocker. Then weld it back together.
Name:  101_0356.JPG
Views: 1553
Size:  24.9 KB

Here is the cab corner just before welding. In this pic you can see the gaps mentioned above. This is why I needed the backing strip in the cab.
Name:  101_0359.JPG
Views: 1756
Size:  25.5 KB

My welds in all their beauty. I have that issue when welding vertical. Horizontal, as long as it's not upside down goes great. Darn gravity.....
Name:  101_0366.JPG
Views: 1512
Size:  23.4 KB

2020 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax
2016 Harley Street Glide CVO

Roll Tide!
sgaylord is offline   Reply With Quote