Thread: 1971 GMC Donald
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 07:52 PM   #39
mxerhale

Re: 1971 GMC Donald

Not sure that I ever mentioned a few oddball things that I did during the build, so here goes:

Mounted a CPP 1 1/4" front sway bar and stole another member's idea (can't remember who) to flip the rear shock mounts and flatten them out to mount those shocks on the outside of the frame, both of these mods seem to really help this old truck handle way better than I remember!

I installed Ride Tech street grip lowering springs on both ends along with some CPP lowering spindles up front and custom machined blocks in the rear. There are a few little odds and ends that a couple friends of mine custom machined for me along the way, like a one off ignition bezel.

I didn't touch the internals of the front calipers, tie rod ends, or rear differential, they are all original and work fantastic. I did replace the trailing arm and panhard bar bushings along with new ball joints, front wheel bearings, rotors and lower control arm shafts.

The cab had a CB radio antenna hole poked right through the center of the roof, so rather than filling it, I had my son 3D print me a fake shark fin antenna.

The rear passenger side of the bed where the taillight mounts had been hit and bent a little and instead of trying to pull it out, I used a heat
gun to mold a new lens to match the curve.
Attached Images