Thread: Doug's headers
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 12:53 PM   #2
MikeB

Re: Doug's headers

Just a note on Doug's headers. This is no longer the company it used to be back in the day. They are now a Pertronix brand made in Mexico. I bought a pair of their Tri-Y headers for the small block in my 69 2WD. They cleared the frame rails, but the welds were crappy. Also, the collectors dumped right into the trans crossmember, when it would have been easy for the manufacturer to move them outboard 2"-3" to aim them at the crossmember "kick-ups" for exhaust pipe clearance. But instead, they were aimed slightly inboard close to the trans pan.

I ended up taking mine back to Summit Racing, and bought some USA-made, 3/4 length Hedmans with beautiful welds.

Here are photos showing no pride of workmanship and lack of QA. I could teach a 10-yr old kid to do better. Where the two pipes come together, there's a weld "snake", a small hole, as well as rust starting to form. Simply unbelievable!
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 03-07-2024 at 02:59 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote