View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

Re: C20 Leaf Springs or Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I think that Chevy standardized on coil spring/trailing arm rear suspension as the factory 'as delivered' default with the leaf springs as an option and I think GMC was the opposite.
If it is a C20- 3/4ton, either one should work ok with a camper BUT......it depends on the camper you are looking at? (ie: 8'? 9'? 10'? or??? and what its weight is).
Do you have any information off of the SPID in the glovebox? (H.duty rear springs? auxiliary overloads? or??? camper special options?).
Also look at the GVWR plate in the door sill.....does it say 7500lbs as manufactured or?
The leaf springs always provided a more stabil load when carrying weight but the coils could carry quite a bit.
The thing with a camper vs other types of loads is the high/sway element where you would notice the advantage of the leaf spring and multi-point load carrying stability.
My two bits.
Coley
I agree 100%, especially regarding the stability and sway aspects of coils. Below is a picture of mine serving camper duty in 1970 (ignore date on picture). I had many white knuckle hours driving that rig. The truck includes the HD rear auxiliary springs with a GVWR of 7500#. I never weighed that 11 foot camper, but always guessed it weighed about 2500-2800 pounds. Eventually, I added air bags, 12.00X16.5 rear tires and a Hellweg rear sway bar. I also made a modification so the auxiliary springs were always in contact with the rubber pads. Those add-ons helped slightly.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote