Thread: 1969 Short Wide
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
7dguy

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Your right this will be a memorable buid for my son...just hope it's not for the wrong reasons. LOL....I have blown my cool a few times on this mechanic work. I guess I'm just too out of shape for this kind of work. I purchased my first brand new truck in the fall of 1995 and haven't done any real wrenching since then. It has been a learning experience for both of us.

If I hadn't found it on the engine removal we probably would have just drove it that way and maybe never noticed it. More than likely it would have developed a major leak at the worst time.

Your story about the bike reminds me of one of my old toolmaker buddies....he acquired a mid 90s ford ranger for $400 knowing it had a hole in the manual tranny housing. He cleaned it up with a die grinder and plugged the hole with JB weld. As far as I know he is still driving with the patch job...not leaking. I guess it really depends on what and where the patch job is done.
For the wrong reasons? Time with the kid is always good. Don't know why but I think JB weld likes aluminum better than iron for some reason. BTW, I forgot to mention I saw an older guy on that bike on a trail 2 months ago...still running.
7dguy is offline   Reply With Quote