View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #73
joedoh

Re: 1941 project fenix

just rustoleum satin rust converter. I wanted the converter because there were obviously areas I couldnt reach (or chose not to based on the time/benefit ratio)

picked up my motor mount stuff today. on the last one I carefully balaced the motor on the picker while holding it at what I thought was the right angle while trying to keep it square in the frame. it was a mf'r and took me almost 2 days. I wanted to try what I thought would be an easier way. and cheaper, because the universal weld in mounts were 60 bucks and shipping.

I drove all over looking for a piece of 1/2" ID 11 ga tube, but only found a new 20ft stick. seeing as I only needed about 5 inches, I passed on that. decided that black pipe would work, but it didnt come as 1/2" ID, more like 7/16" ID. I picked it up and kicked myself all the way home till I realized the through hole in the existing mounts was the same bolt size, 1/2" wouldnt have fit. score.

I got 7/16" all thread and nuts too.

now the existing mounts are at about a 4 degree down angle, so if I just moved the mounts straight back, they would be about 1/2" lower. so I cut the all thread and stacked it, giving me back that (almost) 1/2 inch.

I cut my black pipe, one with a tubing cutter, one with a zip disc. if you cant tell them apart, good, because using the tubing cutter required patience.

amount of move. I made sure to keep the pipes slightly over 16.5" apart (thats the distance for the mounts I am using, 67 chevelle 327 mounts)

overall shot of my jig in position

plasma some mounts. mirror image except the passenger side is 1/2 shorter (motor is offset 1/2" from factory)

bobs your uncle.

total time including shopping: 3.5 hours. you can see my hubris, I cant get the jig out in one piece

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 01-24-2017 at 11:06 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote