Thread: Greg's 50 Build
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #42
Root2812

Re: Greg's 50 Build

At long last she is home. What an eventful trip though. I had to borrow a truck since my ranger doesn't have enough power (4cyl) to tow the 50' 200 miles. Like always the truck fought me every step of the way. It started with the sediment bowl leaking so I couldn't get the truck to start. Lucky for me I had ordered a new gasket this winter from classic parts. Unlucky for me I think someone may have swapped fuel pumps at some point because the gasket was too small. I had to make a temporary gasket with some cork. It worked! Well I had cranked it for a while to try and start before I found the fuel leak and since she hadn't run since October the battery was dead. A quick pull start and she was purring like a kitten and just sat there and idled.

I drove it up on the trailer. I only have a tow dolly so the rear wheels were on the ground. Went 5 miles and luckily I stopped for a burger before I hit the long road and I saw the trailer tire was almost flat. Found some free air at a gas station and on I went. Then things got hairy.....

I forgot one major thing. The 50' has no steering lock like my newer cars. I went around a corner and as the wheels turned the truck almost came off the trailer. She threw one of the wheel straps (the kind that goes over the wheel like a net) and that wheel was almost off the trailer. THANK GOD FOR SAFETY CHAINS!!!! I got her back on the trailer and used some ratchet straps to tie the steering wheel to both doors and now it wouldn't turn. From there on out it was smooth sailing. When I got home it fired right up and drove off the trailer and into my drive way.

Now I need some better tires and to square away the wiring and I can drive! My goal is to be ready for back to the 50's!

And some pics!

My wife snagged this pic of it being towed behind us.

On the trailer

Coming off the trailer (video)
http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Roo...tml?sort=3&o=0

And here she is in her new spot... Well Until I put it inside.

Last edited by Root2812; 05-06-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote