View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Big E65

Re: C20 8 lug to C10 5 lug conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya22 View Post
lolife99 knows his stuff also he helped answer a few questions i had, thanks to him and this website i got it done

just got done doing my swap today. i got a whole front clip off a 73. all i used tho was the lower arm, spindle and tie rods. some may say tht you need to swap everything form the crossmember, but thts too much work. however i would highly sugest using parts form a 73-78.

1. take off your old drums and spindles.
2. remove tie-rods.
3. remove lower A-arms (ONLY THE LOWER A-ARMS!!!!)
4. replace lower A-arms with a 67-70 or 73-78 Lower A-arm, make sure they are off a c10, the reason you want to replace the lowers is because the hole in which the ball joint sets is too big for the 73-78 ball joints.
5. replace upper and lower ball joints with 73-78 ball joints (with your new lower a-arms, all the ball joints well fit nicely)
6. replace your original tie-rods with the 73-78 tie-rods.
7. put on your new 73-78 spindle
now after following these steps you well notice everything should fit nicely. keep mind when you drop your lower A-arm you have to take it off from the U-bolts that are on the crossmember. also a problem i ran into, because i used the 73-78 lower A-arms, they are wider than the 67-70 A-arms. so i had to knotch out about an inch from the driver side A-arm so it wouldnt hit my long tube headers. you may or may not have to do this too, depending on how your headers are set up. if you need pictures of the knotch let me know.

one last thing. you well also need new brake hoses. the hoses,Brake Caliper,brake pads and ball joints new form o'rileys should run you less than $100

the lower A-arms, tie-rods and spindles from your local junk yard should run you around $100 also.

you cant get cheaper than that bud.
I'm trying to do the same thing I have a 65 gmc 3/4,one quick question might be a stupid one but from your information it says to only replace the lower a arm and replace upper and lower ball joints with 73-78 ball joints
Wouldn't the upper a arms have to be replaced as well because of the diameter on the ball joints?
Thank you for your info and reply it's a big help I really didn't want to go the other route
Just wanted to do straight bolt on
Big E65 is offline   Reply With Quote