Thread: Starter Motor
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
DavidButler

Starter Motor

Rebuilt the cylinder head ( seized valves) on my 1954 235 in my pick up and finally got her running last night. Tappets seem a little bit noisy, but they can be adjusted, Plenty of oil onto rockers etc. Otherwise it sounded pretty sweet.
The oil pressure gauge in the truck (1952) only goes up to 30 psi. The needle was right off the scale (higher) even when the temperature reached normal, is this ok?

However, on the downside I guess the starter did not disengage from the engine or is there a freewheel device that didn't work? Bottom line is the winding's in the rotor parted company with the rotor and made a right mess of the starter and stater winding's. I suspect there is an external extension spring missing from the foot starter mechanism.
I have had a quick look on the tinternet for refurbished starters and they all seem to be 6 Volt ones. Do most people use the original 6V units on a 12V system, or are there alternative 12V units available? There is a tag on the old starter but it will need some more work to be able to read it, possibly including a trip to the opticians!

Thanks in advance.
DavidButler is offline   Reply With Quote