Old 08-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubsster View Post
Hi all,

I guess my question is similar to cwcarpenter98

My question is, I have an 8103-7 alternator which is rated at 105 amps. When my truck is in drive my engine rpm drops to about 550. At this rpm (when my Taurus fan kicks on) my amp needle is jumping like crazy and truck runs poorly unless I give it a little throttle. If I increase my engine idle RPM then my truck wants to lurch into gear. Probably need to change my torque converter again but it seems to drive great the way it is. Back to what I really hope someone can answer is, what alternator can I use at this rpm. I am running the stock crank pulley which I am not sure of the size? Is there an alternator out there that I can swap with or a pulley that will speed up the alternator I am currently running. I will also be adding a vintage air unit this fall.

Thanks in advance.
One of the things that the manufacturers did back in the day was add a solenoid to kick the idle speed up a bit when the AC was turned on. No reason that you couldn't use one that was wired in with the fan so that the idle speed would pick up when it's drawing a lot of current. With the addition of AC, it's an even better addition, because the fan will certainly be running when the AC is on, for air flow at idle. Running a smaller pulley on the alternator may help, but it won't be enough to overcome the drop in idle speed when the AC is running, imo.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote