View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 02:00 AM   #10
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

The point of all of that was to give some context for my next job on the truck, attacking the body and chassis.

I live in Portland and it rains, and I don't want to worry that my truck is rusting into the ground. I want to reach a happy equilibrium of cab sealing, no active rust, good window seals, good door seals, etc. I think I learned enough from the Eurovan to make that happen.

I don't have the time or space for a cab off restoration (maybe someday), but I hope that my truck isn't so rough that it needs that. I want to make a solid driver that will last another 10-15 years before it needs major attention (read new sheet metal). I also don't like to do things twice. Everyone has a different version of what is good enough, and mine is making the truck look like it is about 10 years old, instead of better than new or 53 years old. I also want to keep it no more than 2 months away from being on the road at any given time.

I am hoping to get some advice here on what I can't see that will likely need replacing, and things that are usually missed/overlooked. I would like to order as much as possible through Classic Heartbeat (they are close by in WA), and I may get the truck up there when I place my order to make sure I don't miss anything.

The first step was to get the truck in the garage and wheels off (for the first time), and spend a good couple hours just scraping off oily dirt (someone loved their grease gun, it was filthy under there!). I didn't get it clean, but I could at least see what I was working on. My next job was to take an inventory of what was there and the relative condition... I'll share a list in my next post. I also took the opportunity to remove the exhaust and the saddle fuel tanks.

I also ordered a Boyd's tank this morning to move the gas tank out of the cab, it's important to me and a step towards my ultimate goal of an LS swap (LQ4, 4l80e, run by Holley Terminator X Max), and it will work to meet my immediate goal of keeping the truck driveable during this process.

As of right now, the interior is out and I'll post pictures tomorrow, along with actual questions.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote