View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 01:52 AM   #21
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

Ok, so I won't make you wait long in anticipation.

I did the math and found that to get the suspension back into safe, operable condition, I was looking at about $850. A brand new QA1 front coilover setup came up for sale locally and I snagged it. Seems like a pretty good value for what you get. I did a bit of research and I am still undecided for the rear of the truck, but I may fab up my own version of a shock relocation and get some lowering springs. I have the rarer '67 HD rear axle (HO72?), It's 4.55 and you can't really get any upgrades for it, so I will figure out a plan for a junkyard late model cab and chassis axle with disc brakes and LSD.

The QA1 install is a surprisingly difficult job on these old trucks. The disassembly is 75% of the work, and could be more based on how dirty everything is and how nice you want it to look. I think you could do a Motortrend style install in 4-6 hours, where you spray paint over the dirt and don't clean up your cuts. I probably have 8 hours in and have another 4 to go. Unfortunately, I ran into a big problem and have to wait on parts. I thought I had later model C10 spindles. Turns out that I have 73-87 C20 spindles with 1" ball joints. They will not work. I ordered CPP cp4s4 73-87 2" drop spindles. They should allow me to continue to use my 1.125" disc brakes that happen to be 8 lug, and are also the generation that QA1 recommends for the geometry of the kit and the ball joints. Fingers Crossed that summit can get the here early next week. Also, what a waste of time to get my old spindles cleaned up. I have at least 2 hours into cleaning and painting those... Oh well.

I also picked up about $50 in upholstery supplies and a new seat cover. I am hoping to do a bit of arts and crafts to bring my old frame/foam back to life and add some contoured foam density under the driver and passenger. Pictures later this weekend.
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote