View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #22
dh81k30

Re: Converting to a 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Now that brings up a good question. Is the crank the same in the 250 & 292? We are sure the transmission will fit, but how about the harmonic balancer, flywheel, and etc. Just trying not to have to many surprises when I get into this project, Gm did some funny things.
If the info I checked is correct, '66 and later 292's use 1/2 inch bolts(110 lb. ft.) for the flywheel as opposed to the 250's 7/16 bolts(60 lb. ft.). I also recall that my 292's flywheel has three locating dowels for nine total holes required to mount the flywheel to the crank. Think 250's only use one locating dowel.

The thing you really need to think of is that the 292 was designed mainly for use in medium duty trucks(C40-C60) and is built for that duty. It's overkill for a light duty truck but it works well within those design criteria.

The 292's carb has a slightly larger bore requiring a slightly larger hole in the intake manifold. The 292 carb is also not calibrated for mileage. Using your carb and intake would probably be a good idea.

Remember that because the block is taller, things that bolted onto the 250 block may not line up with holes on the 292 engine, especially if the component bolts on the block and head at the same time.