View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #128
snowblind

Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

I got a few more things done on the Jimmy.

Windshield washer/wiper upgrade:
These are a big deal for me. My winter driving involves a lot of salt and spray and some really heavy snow and ice. Last winter I ran the stock reservoir with an aftermarket pump and the stock squirters and it was not a lot of fun. I have a plan for upgrading the system that I'll go into later but step one was installing a bigger reservoir and stronger pump.

I pulled a reservoir with built in pump from a Chevy 2500 at the junkyard. The built in pump really simplifies the mounting and makes for a pretty clean install. I also checked out the dual pump reservoir from a S10 Blazer but the pumps mounted on the outside of the tank and didn't look as clean.

Reservoir and pump. I made sure to clip the GM "weatherpack" connector so I could wire it in cleanly.

Here are a few shots of the engine bay after cleaning up the wiring. It's still pretty dirty and the duct tape on the firewall is a nice touch but it's better than it was.

I also installed a new upper radiator hose. It took a few tries at Pep Boys to get the right hose but I ended up with a hose from a 79 Blazer that fits well with my set up. I don't know how it would fit with the stock shroud and fan but it works well for me. The fans have worked flawlessly BTW. Idling in 95º the temp barely comes over the the first hash on the stock temp gauge. That's where it normally runs in the winter!

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote