View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #214
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

More firewall modifications...

The trouble started when I realized that I had purchased the wrong tachometer drive. I purchased a 0.5/1 drive which would have been perfect for a 4 stroke engine. With my 2 stroke Detroit Diesel, the cam and balance shafts run at the same speed as the crankshaft. Since the tachometer is driven off of the balance shaft, I needed a 1/1 tachometer drive. The correct drive is 3/8" longer than the other one. When I lowered the body on the chassis, the drive hit the firewall just before the body mounts touched.

I got out the torch, body hammer and dolly and "clearanced" the firewall.

Name:  Tach Drive Clearance.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  46.5 KB

While I had the cab off, I moved the hole for the clutch rod, filled the throttle cable hole, filled the holes in the "A" pillar for the spot light and filled the gas filler hole.

The clutch rod was rubbing the bottom of the hole because of my 2" cab lift.

The spot light had to go because the handle was too close to the steering wheel and I kept banging my knuckles into it.

I'm removing the fuel tank from the cab and installing saddle tanks under the bed. I was able to buy a filler plate from Infanti Machine. It fit perfectly and saved me hours of work to shape this 3D patch.

Name:  Gas Filler Patch Fit.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  51.3 KB

It's installed and looking good.

Name:  Gas Filler Patch Complete.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  55.5 KB
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote