View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #220
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

All for another 1" of wheel travel...

From the start of this project, I have had serious concerns about the front axle contacting the engine at full spring compression. I measured the distance between them with the weight of the truck on the stock springs and determined that the axle tube would hit the oil pan about 1-1/2" before the differential housing hit the block.

Because I had to reverse the oil pan (in the original installation, the sump was in front and I need it to be in the rear) the turbo oil return would be on the wrong side. Since, I was going to have to modify the pan anyway, I decided to take 1" out of it and gain some wheel travel.

Here's the pan marked for cutting. The hole is where the turbo oil return was originally:

Name:  Oil Pan marked to cut.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  58.0 KB

Here's the pan fitted:

Name:  Oil Pan fitted for welding.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  54.4 KB

Here's the pan welded:

Name:  Oil Pan welded.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  59.5 KB

Because I moved the sump from the front to the rear, I had to add some tubing to the oil pickup. Here it is installed:

Name:  New Oil Pickup Installed.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  89.4 KB

Job done:

Name:  Oil Pan modifications complete.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  51.6 KB

While I had the pan off, I pulled all the main & rod bearings and inspected them. They all look good and the clearances are within new spec. I still need to do a compression check; but, I may not need to overhaul the engine.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote