View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #225
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

Tasks to get the engine running...

It turns out that I need to have the engine running to complete the compression check. Simply using the starter to turn it over, like I would with a 4 stroke, will not yield accurate results.

Here are the steps so far:

1) Battery cables - I could have probably jury rigged the battery cables; but, since I am starting the engine in the frame, I thought I might as well make the final ones. Here's a shot of the positive and one of the negative cables.

Name:  Battery cables.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  59.7 KB

These are very stout - 1/0 between the batteries and 2/0 from the last battery to the starter. I shouldn't have any voltage drop issues.

2) Rear main oil seal - I replaced the flywheel housing awhile ago but I didn't have a new rear main oil seal at the time. It was fine to not have the seal for mock-up. I put in a new seal and new pilot bearing.

3) Camshaft pulley - The original installation (C-70) had the fan running off of the camshaft pulley. In my installation, the fan will run from a separate pulley belt driven from the crankshaft. So, I needed to replace the pulley.

Name:  Camshaft Pulley.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  83.5 KB

4) New injectors - There were 2 stuck injectors so I replaced them all. I'm hoping that is the reason that the engine made so much smoke.

5) Jake brakes - Since I had to flop the rocker arms over to replace the injectors, it provided an opportunity to install the Jake brake actuators. Here's a shot from the driver's side:

Name:  Jake Brakes driver's side.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  82.8 KB

And the passenger's side:

Name:  Jake Brakes passenger's side.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  83.3 KB

I still need to bend the oil supply tubing for the Jakes and new fuel tubing before I can start it up.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote