View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
SCOTI

Re: Best parallel flow Condenser - stock / bolt in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
I just went through installing a new parallel flow condenser. Got one from NAPA but turned out to be a SPECTRA 7-3642.

I have replaced everything but the wiring in the cab. My set up is a 1985 C10 with factory A/C. LS swap with the low mount Holley bracket. Small Sanden type Compressor, New Four Season Receiver Drier, New Four Season Evap Core, New Four Season R134a Oriface tube, New Four Season pressure switch, New custom made hoses. New wiring from factory plug at firewall to A/C compressor. Using factory Mechanical fan from the LS motor. Sits perfectly in the fan shroud. Good airflow at idle, will hold a piece of paper to the condenser. Professionally charged twice at a shop, subsequently but lost all freon due to a faulty Compressor and Pressure switch. This last time was me and 3 cans of AutoZone R134a

Things I have learned:

1. Condenser is a parallel flow style, you can see the difference in construction. Much different from the new R12 spectra I put in a few years ago, which was a perfect drop in.

2. Spectra states this *fits* squarebody C10 and Suburbans. It *fits* but is not perfect. The height is correct, but it is smaller width wise than the R12 one I took out. about 1 1/2 inch on each side. Mounting brackets will need to be screwed to the lower part of the core support. The uppers will bolt to some factory threaded inserts at the top. Like I said, it will "fit", but know that Spectra plays loose and fast with their application guides. Its not a drop in.

3. It comes with it's own mounting brackets and pads. this is good as it does not have the same areas to mount as the original. You will need these and some ingenuity to get it in and mounted.

4. The outlets are the right size and in the right general area but do not point in the proper direction. They can be *massaged* to meet up with the hard line. Just be careful and don't kink the lines. I bent both the lower hard line and the Condenser line until the met.

So with all that said. All parts are in and, after fighting many leaks, are finally holding a charge. However, it is not as cold as I would like. goes down to 39 running down the highway under load and 49 at idle on an 85 degree day in Atlanta.

I thought it was airflow issue and needed pusher fans but NO. Upon testing at highway speeds (60-85mph), under cruise speed (light throttle), there is plenty of airflow across the condenser, but the temp will climb up in the mid forties. Only thing that really drops it down is spinning the compressor faster. (more engine RPMs really bring temp down)

It is not much, if at all, better than the R12 Condenser that was in it previously. I was getting similar temps but thought, since there was a leak, go ahead and change it. In hind sight, I would not have changed it saved my $$ and left the R12 condenser in.

Just my experience, your results may vary.
When I did my dually, I consulted a manufacturer that custom made condensers (to build one the same size as the current one I had). I told him what I researched about the parallel flow being the best for the 134 set-ups. He agreed the parallel is better but said the best condenser is the biggest. He said to buy the largest OE/direct fit unit & be done w/it. When I questioned him about info from the www, he said "If it makes you feel better to spend extra money for a custom made parallel unit because you read it on the Net, I'll do it. But, the reality is you'll spend more money & might; might see a 1-3° temp difference @ optimum performance. If it's not @ optimum perf everywhere else, you'll see less of a difference". I opted for the largest set-up that came from a Burb based on his honest input. He didn't make any money off me but he sure got my respect.

My set-up blew cold but I can't say how effective it is. I wound up having pressure related issues once it builds RPM's. Seems there's an imbalance of oil/gas causing the comp to shut-off except @ minimal throttle. It was on my list to remedy but I wasn't driving it enough that I ever got around to the fix.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote