View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
mrjata

Re: Increased MPG for carbs?

I built the 383 stroker, for the money, I wasn't that impressed. Seemed like a lot of work for very little. In what little I have done, the heads are everything! The cam, well, duh, sure. It really depends on where you want the torque to come in and the $$$ too.

Guess I am to old school. I like my Holleys. I can tune them to do whatever I want. I like the throttle snap that I can get that EFI can't. Seems like there is just a little delay on the efi stuff. Guess I have tinkeritis too. Think it is a guy thing, really.

Had fun with the emissions test once too(off topic). They said my 52 5 window p.u. with a 410 wouldn't pass the smog test. Legally, I don't have to. I have to meet EPA emisions that were required in 1952. In Missouri, we don't have smog tests anyway, this guy was being a jerk. I went home, switched carburetors, put a barrel of alcohol in the bed. Since I ran a racing fuel business, it was not a big deal. Went back, told him to "sniff this". He plugged in his stuff, I started the truck and "gassed everyone in the building! The were all running out, gasping, wiping their eyes. I laughed my head off. I passed the test!! They told me to take it home and not come back. One officer asked me to launch it hard once. Told him I didn't want the ticket. He threw his badge in the car and told me to have at it. I pulled out on the street, dumped the clutch at about 4500 and picked up the front end and carried it through 2nd gear and let it down. The officers all just waved at me.

This little stunt of just 60 miles round trip cost me a barrel of alcohol ($165) but they learned their lesson. It was a blast too seeing everyone scatter!!

Have fun, enjoy the life and the pursuit.

d
mrjata is offline   Reply With Quote