View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
brimc

Re: 86 Silverado K20 12V CUMMINS Build

I went to "Barrie Metal Superstore" ( what a place ! a must for us small guys needing metal ) they will cut to order what ever you want big or small and great price!
Started off with a 6 foot piece of 4inch 3/16. I think this is thick enough. Anything bigger is overkill for on-road DD like I am going for. If I was going hard core, off-road I would have boxed the frame and gone bigger/thicker/stronger.

I started off by cutting off 12" and temp bolt set to the inside frame rail using the templates I had already created.

Some adjustments were necessary because I didn't take into consideration for the 3/16 thickness compared to the box board. Notice the oval hole in the template now.

I used the box board to copy over to the metal. Then used that to create a mirror image to come up with front/rear.

Next I moved on to the other side using the same method.

No drill press at home. Could have used the workshop at work but it worked out alright, Started small then worked up to final sized bit.

Bolted the two together to finish sand them to make sure they look the same when bolted up.

So I clamped and bolted them into position on both sides at the same time. Then I reconfirmed positions etc and tack welded them together. For some reason I didn't get any pictures of that.
Here they are all mocked up on the bench. Now they just need reinforcing and final welding at work using a "real" mig welder as mine is just the toy version.

See my "toy version" mastercraft $500 welder on the floor.

Its starting to get into the interesting stage. The end of this post brings me up to March 13. I still got lots of progress to post from the last 3 months or so. I hope others will find this usefull, even if it is in some tiny little way. I know I have learned alot from reading these forums!
Stay tuned.....

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote