View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #137
JMD

Re: '67 K10 swb big block "The Mutt"

The cheapest fix would have been to drill a hole in the bottom of the stock tank and weld in a bung so the gas would be gravity fed directly to the in-line pump. However, the stock tank has no baffles, it’s already filled with rust (it’s an original ‘67 tank) and I HATED how loud the fuel pump was. Seriously, the thing sounded like a garbage disposal.

I also thought about going with a Boyd under-bed tank. In order to do that though, I would need to redo the exhaust. I also didn’t like the idea of putting a fuel fill cap in the bed floor, and I didn’t want to see the tank hanging below the rear bumper.

The third option and the one I ended up going with was to find a used toolbox/fuel tank combo and modify it to accept an in-tank pump. I’ve always wanted a toolbox in the bed anyway, so I thought the combination of the two would be pretty sweet. Not to mention the fact that I’ve never seen it done before, so I thought I’d give it a try.

I found a 60gal tank/toolbox made by RDS that already had baffles, vents, and a rollover valve. The mechanical fuel gauge that came with the toolbox already had the 5 hole bolt pattern that would work for the Equus sending unit I bought, so that was direct bolt on. I bought a Holley retrofit in-tank pump (part #19-350) that is capable of 700hp and worked perfectly with the 12” tank depth. All I had to do was drill a 3.25” hole in the top of the tank, run a couple wires and make up some braided hose and I was back on the road. It was a pretty simple project and I’m absolutely loving the in-tank pump. It’s almost silent, and the engine is much happier now that it’s actually getting enough fuel. I went for a 3 hour drive today and the A/F ratio was perfect, plus the added fuel capacity is really nice. I think this may be my favorite modification so far.
Attached Images