Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #335
youngrodder

Re: Wife's 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Well I slicked up the firewall because I like the look. Then I got the Vintage Air sure fit kit.

IMG_2104 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

So I had to re-drill the holes for the factory heater. So I marked where the hoses would go through the firewall, it looked like this. Those 4 X's are where I drilled the holes for the VA mock up unit I have. So I'll be welding those holes up now.

IMG_0309 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

So I drilled holes and cleaned up the big one with a Dremel, big hole saws just don't work for me.
IMG_0311 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

And my lucky day, the sure fit kit fits.
IMG_0312 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
I got pretty lucky on the template I made and it was close enough that the Dremel made it all fit.

Now that kills my plans for the battery box, so I'm looking for some ideas on battery placement. I put the other cab on the frame I've been working on for the 48 to see if there was a place on the frame under the cab where I could put the battery, but it doesn't look like it. I know Joe put one in an inner fender, but any other ideas? I don't want to put it in the bed if I can help it, but that may be the last resort.

Made two more decisions on the truck, 1) I'm replacing the lower left outer cowl as the old vent has me concerned about leakage (both air and water), and 2) I'm going to weld up the gills on the right cowl. Looked at a truck this past weekend that had done that and it looked good.
Looks good. I used a SS drop down battery box that I mounted behind the passenger side tire. I tucked it into the dead space between the frame and the fender towards the back of the front fender.

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote