View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Psycho71

Re: How did you choose your cam and intake?

I just did a build on the engine for my burb. I used the XE 256 that cableguy referenced above, and a professional products Typhoon intake (performer rpm knockoff). My CR should come out to about 9.5:1 with the heads I'm running. I also installed a 1" 4-hole spacer under the Holley. Not a mountain motor by any means, just something a bit more than stock to help turn some larger tires on a heavy arsed ol burb. I'm looking for low to midrange, more for the midrange, since I am running a TH400 (1:1 final drive) with no future plans to change. Looking to be at least on the lower end of the cam's rpm range (2500-5500 I think) when at cruising speed on the hwy. In the end, tire size and diff gearing will be fine tuned to get me where I want to be RPM-wise. And being a 4x4 with a reduction at the transfer case, I don't see an issue getting the rpm's to that range while offroading.

Two of the main considerations I made in selecting the cam was what converter I was going to run, and how big a cam my heads would flow. The converter in mine was always planned to be a low stall HD unit, to keep heat down while crawling around off-road. So the cam's idle characteristics were an important factor. And my heads won't flow much more, if any, cam that the XE256 anyway. So it was an obvious choice for me.

I have only run my engine on a stand so far, and like Cableguy said, it has a noticeable idle through the 40 series flows that I hooked to it. Sounds fairly choppy when cold, then smooths out a bit as the temps come up. But still, there's no doubt there's a little bit of a cam in it. As with all engines on a stand (no load), it rev's great and sounds awesome. Will know more in a week or so when in the burb and running down the road.

That's what I chose, and why. We'll see how it all works out in the end.

BTW, Cableguy.. Just noticed your location..I have a project coming up in Walkersville, MD in a few weeks. Was up there two weeks ago visiting the site. Where are the good fishin holes up that way?

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 01-23-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote