View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #30
72chevynoob

Re: home made shop tools etc?

I got the idea from a video i saw on youtube. He used a propane tank instead, which i didnt feel was safe, as they are hard to drain, and propane is very explosive. The build went as follows:

First, i went to the local hardware store and purchased the following:
2 ball valves,
1 gate valve
2 90 degree fittings
2 "T" fittings
1 'nipple'- short piece of pipe threaded on both sides. this one had a hex part between the two threads.
1 bushing 3/8" to 1/4"
We already had a large amount of 3/8" pipe at home from plumbing in air lines for the new compressor. I used around 3'

Then, i drilled 2 holes in the top and bottom of the tank. They were 7/8" in diameter, which is approximately the same i.d. as 3/8" pipe, which doesnt make much sense to me either.

Then i put together the top and bottom sections, which go as follows:
Top:
stubby piece of pipe-> 90-> nipple-> ball valve-> short piece of pipe-> 't' fitting-> bushing-> air line fitting

The 'T" fitting also went to a short piece of pipe attached to the second ball valve.
Bottom:
stubby piece of pipe-> gate valve-. 'nipple'-> 'T' fitting-> short piece of pipe-> 90

The 90 on the bottom and the second ball valve on the top were then connected by the correct length piece of pipe to place the stubby pieces of pipe against the holes i drilled. I then welded it on and checked for leaks. Make sure you get everything good and tight before welding, because it cannot be taken apart without a grinder after it has been welded.

mine already had a threaded hole in it for filling it, which i put a plug in, i plan on using this for filling it with sand. I still need to make a stand, and buy a section of flex line and a nozzle, but after that, i should have a very cheap sandblaster. I also cut a chunk out of the base for easier access to the gate valve.
Attached Images