View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

Heres the timeline and some background on the purchase:

October 6th, found the truck on craigslist seattle. I could tell it was not a work truck or one that was abused from the pics.

Being remote, I knew I was at a disadvantage so I had to send a message that I was serious and wouldn't BS him. I emailed the following: "Hi, If you have receipts for the motor, clean title and can send a pic of the cab supports showing no rust there I will pay asking price for the truck. Also I am out of state but have had trucks shipped here from oregon before. If you are willing to work with me and can provide the above, consider it sold. I can call you tomorrow."

It worked- he called back and there was good communication from there on out

OCT 7th- told him I was going to line up a friend out there to inspect for rust and verify the title. I was pretty cautious at this point and would not send any money until I had someone look at it first. Now is where it got tricky, as far as the payment went. I wanted to make out a cashiers check to the guy and have a friend bring it with, and then if all looked good, the title would be exchanged for the check. The owner would not agree to this even though the truck would still be sitting there! It even has a bad tranny so it wouldn't be speeding out of there.

OCT 7th-10th detailed discussions on how to get him the money without sending cash and him leaving a bank with cash (without running through his account). Finally agreed that I would open a wells fargo account and send a cashiers check to another wells fargo where he could cash it. Wire transfer options need accounts on both ends FYI.

OCT 9th- detailed pics of concern areas sent. Everything looked good

OCT 14th- I had a well respected member of this forum, Mark (Livrat) check it out for me and verify all VIN's and do a rust and engine condition check. Everything checked out

OCT 16th- had Mark confirm that the place shown on google streetview and Earth was indeed where the truck was he looked at

OCT 20th- title sent to me certified mail

OCT 24th- MN DMV would not transfer title since he only signed the front, which was just a loan release portion.

OCT 25th- Truck was supposed to be picked up today. No word from Shipper for a couple days, he totally blew us off!

OCT 27th- Shipper called said it would be a few days.

NOV 2nd- Shipper called and said he didnt know when he could get it but could get it to his place in MT at least.

NOV 1- Made sure my name was filled in as buyer on the title and sent back to Seattle certified mail with tracking. Made sure to send email to document sending also.

NOV 3rd- I cancelled bid with that shipper

NOV 3rd-6th- Wasted my time with other potential shippers/brokers. Seriously contemplated leaving the truck in Seattle and just picking up myself in the spring.

NOV 6th- Broke down and just called DAS, a little more expensive but at least they are legitimate.

NOV 7- Title received back

NOV 13th- DMV take#2 "newer" lady there struggled a bit with paperwork and all the options for registration but we finally got the right paperwork for a one ton non commercial. The bad news: MN charges 6.5% on one tons and higher! Stupid because my 01 2500HD actually has a higher GVWR than this truck. The good news: Plates say "NONCOMMERCIAL" right on them in good sized writing. I like this since with my 2 place car hauler, I'm going to look commercial and I don't want to be hassled by the DOT.

NOV 14th- DAS shipping website says truck is in transit. No delivery date given though

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 11-15-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote