View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

I like how people think a VE can't out tow a BBC. I have a very well used 89 6bt I'd put up against most BBC's. It'll get better mileage towing and can maintain hills without down shifting 2 times too. Been there, had both ford and chevy big blocks, wasn't impressed. And I highly doubt you will see any issues with the extra 400lbs of engine weight during getting the truck going unless you are in a soft field or on snow. The torque these make when you drop a clutch on them is pretty funny. Make sure your idle is set correctly and you'll be fine. The leaf springs will be the only thing I'd see worrying about the weight. And if you have the 4 leaf HD stock springs, they take the weight with no issue.

Jud, this will make a very nice hauler. That is a very nice truck to start with. Hopefully all the snow you guys keep getting doesn't delay the shipment too much. I agree the price of diesel is high. But, what will a 400hp 454 get hauling your trailer with 2 trucks on it? 6, maybe 8 if you are lucky? The worst I've gotten with any 5.9 I've had has been 9.5. That was towing a 36' triple axle enclosed trailer weighing 25,500# and running 75-80mph in 25-30mph winds. The guy running with us had a 8.1 and was lucky to ever get 6. Cost is a huge consideration in any swap and I won't argue that. So overall cost compared to the BBC already in your truck is a no brainer. But over all usage and being happy in the end, I can't see how the 5.9 won't do an over all better job.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 11-17-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote