View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
TrybalRage

Not ready for a full repaint, stop this from getting worse

Hey everyone, I have a mostly rust-free truck, except for the hood and the roof.

I bought it when I lived in Georgia, and I believe it lived a lot of it's previous life with pine needles piled on top of it.

Floors, cab corners, wheelwells are all in perfect shape. There's a little more rust like the hood under the grill and below the tailgate, but not as bad.

I'm not ready to paint the entire truck, so I'm looking to remove the rust here to stop it from getting worse. I also don't want to hurt any future repainting plans by using some products that would be hard to remove/prep later.

So after some searching, the best bet appears to be to sand down to bare shiny metal (80 grit? It's rough to the touch) and then epoxy prime.

Do I need to wipe down with something first? What, exactly? I've seen some people using an acid? Converter of some kind?

What's a decent, affordable epoxy primer for a non-bodywork guy that would be easy to get my hands on? Something from Summit? Something I could even find at Lowes/HD/Tractor Supply?

2010 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote