Thread: Starter & Shims
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 11:15 AM   #30
Accelo

Re: Starter & Shims

It's not the name on the starter that matters. Watch for the Delco and GM part numbers on the aluminum nose piece. Factory ones come with part numbers on them. If yours is a generic replacement it will not have any marks or identification of any kind. I avoid them like the plague. And their solution "Shimming the starter" is a lame work around that caused other issues. If you want to put this issue to bed find out the part number that came factory on the starter and find on and install it. 99% of the time this fixes the issue. The original nose cone is like gold to me. When I purchase a replacement starter I swap out the noise cone. Don't forget to install the stabilizing strap on the brush end of the starter. 90% of the time they are missing. Reinstall it, GM didn't spend a nickel on anything if it wasn't required.
This is a problem manufactured by the re-builders as they wanted to reduce the number of interchangeable starters to reduce inventory. Now the Manufactures, like Honda, change the starter design every 6 months or so just to make it impossible to stock enough spares and hoping you will purchase from the manufacture. It's all a game designed to make the consumer pay. Bottom line is, if you want it quite, it's possible, but it will take some work on you part.

Last edited by Accelo; 02-23-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote