View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #435
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

After the paint cured on the parts, I figured to quickly reinstall them and get back on the cab. Not to be. When I mounted up the first Monroe SensaTrac shock, the increased barrel diameter immediately interfered with the axle tube. It looked like if I moved the top of the shock back, it would correct the problem, but after several mods, I'd moved it back 1/2" and only had about .100" between the shock and the axle tube. So the only practical solution was to move the bottom shock mounts forward.

Once again the scrap bin came to the rescue as I was able to find two pieces of 1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3" material that miraculously had two 1/2" holes in just the right spots. The task became much easier at that point. I mocked up the pieces and marked the angle that I needed. I then calmped them on the mill and removed .240" of material to offset them flush with the existing mounting eye. Used the corner rounder to make them a bit prettier and then installed them. Pictures below are before paint and you can see they are supported on the front and the bottom of the existing mount areas. With a 1/2" bolt torqued to 95 ft/lbs, they aren't going anywhere. With the shocks in the front hole, I now have plenty of clearance between the shock barrel and the axle tube.

I also went down to the tire store this morning and had the tires dismounted. Headed to Eagle Stripping tomorrow to have the front of all four wheels blasted back down to bare aluminum. When I get them back, I'll use Glisten PC to coat them. It's crystal clear and will not cause the rims to turn grey like they did with the clear powder coating.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote