View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Step'67

Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksshane View Post
I see you had it out in the desert.... how does this stuff hold up to road grime? What happens if a rock chips it? I can just imagine getting a chip in this and then the air working its way under it. Ive never seen the product in person though so I have no clue
Good question, yes I have had it out in the desert, and it is my daily driver, so it sees quite a bit of abuse. With this being said, I have found no damage on the paint caused by rocks or other similar material. While this stuff does dry solid and feels like paint, it is still flexible and therefore very resistant to rocks. If they do hit, it doesn't actually chip, rather it may create a small tear in it (hasn't happened to me). Plasti Dip holds on to the base material very well so I personally wouldn't be worried about it bubbling up. However if it does, what you can do is the following: Clean the area with diluted down isopropyl alcohol, cut out the small section that is bubbled, use thinner on your finger to feather the edges of the dip still on the vehicle around the imperfection, and respray dip over top of it. I've never had to do this though, and haven't ran into the problem.

A lot of people, probably the vast majority, actually use this on wheels to recolor them. That would be a high abuse area, and from what I've seen, it even holds up very well there.