Thread: Project 69SWB
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #527
~Whitey~

Re: Project 69SWB

Just a few updates, saved up a few truck bucks, bought the header panel and rear sill which I needed from Mar-K and have sent all my bed parts off to be sand blasted, should have them back by the end of the week. Will be nice to get the bed on the truck, though the wood is going to have to wait a bit. I've also fitted the front fenders and hood (which I painted way back), but had to take it back apart to send the inners to the blaster.
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  45.3 KB

Also I've got the truck up and running real good, gas lines are ran to rear tank, brakes all done, engine is timed, did the alignment myself and it's close but I'll still take it in and have it done. I ran the exhaust part way back and stuck some Flowmaster HP2's on. It sounds really good and it's real nice to be able to pull the truck in and out of garage.

Right now I'm working on this original grill I bought from Scott Duckworth a while back, First I stripped it with Costic Soda. It had a good bend in it under the C in Chevrolet, but I've got it pretty straight now. There is also lots of pitting and several other small dents, dings in this grill, but I've been sanding, polishing, banging dents out of this thing for a week, just taking my time and not rushing it. FINALLY starting to make headway though I was in doubt for a while whether this was repairable... by me anyway.

The magic combination I've come up with is: 1 initial sanding with mini orbital using 240 grit until the pits are gone (or a dent I've banged out), then I've been wet sanding with 600, followed up by 1500, after that I hit it with a mothers ball several times though I am going to stop by Harbor Freight and buy their aluminum polishing kit to see how it does. After I get this all shiney and nice, I'll paint the letters and black lines then clear coat the whole thing.

You can see quite a bit of pitting, ugly even when shiny, no matter how much you polish it, still looks terrible. It's got to go.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  72.6 KB

So I went after it with the sander

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  69.4 KB

Looking pretty good, but there is still a few spots I think I can get out, I've got a long ways to go with this grill but it's coming along.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  31.1 KB