View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
scottishdave

Re: Story of two 72 k5's.

Ok....So, In the process i learned a great deal about what i had actually purchased.

The rust under the hood was so bad that the eshuast manifolds had completey rusted through so that when i went to unbolt them, it just broke in half and fell off.

One of the Torsion Boxes was replaced with....TIN! while the other torsion box simply did not exist. The many many holes in the floor had been covered with fiberglass, And...the bottoms of both doors were almost gone, quarters were filled with holes. The tailgate had been tack welded in place to give it the appearance of being on...and, well i am sure there was more.

The front crossmember had a huge chunk cut out to make way for a PTO driven winch. About 8" were cut off the rear frame rails to jerry rig weld a hitch. Tranny was toast, rear end was toast, engine was toast... evidently before the engine died, the lift pump gave out and a jerry rigged electric pump was put in to pump fuel to the carb??? who knows.

But...I went on and with zero welding knowledge, or a welder i moved forward with the help of some old guy i had met who offered to help teach some welding/bodywork. This just keeps getting better and better

So we gave it a shot...probably made things look better but nothing was straight, and the quality just was not there.

Only thing that turned out great were the fenders and hood...mostly because there was nothing wrong with them to begin with, ha ha.

Mild Cam 350, 700r4, d44/12bolt, 4.56's, vintage AC,
4" front springs, rear flip w/6" shackles, 35' BFG AT's

Last edited by scottishdave; 09-14-2011 at 01:52 PM.
scottishdave is offline   Reply With Quote