Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #29
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
You couldn't pay me to cut that off. Your welds are fine. I just thought it might help explain why the back side was not filled.
Thanks. I didn't get any other advice so I went ahead and jumped under the cab and welded from the bottom too. More on that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Howdy neighbor, I live in Denton.

I think you are doing a fine job! Nice project!
Thank you sir.

I took a break from sheet metal work and started working on the frame again. Rain finally quit so I've had some 65-70 degree weather to work in and its been nice. I cut and installed my new c-notches from brothers trucks. For stage 1 I am leaving them bolted in. I don't have a welder that can weld that thick of steel. At least I don't think that 140 can weld the frame.... But I plan on welding it later on when I strengthen the frame a little as well in stage 2 of my build.

The c-notches took some time, but overall not a hard project. I simply made a cardboard template of the c-notch face, lined them up, traced the notch and got to cutting. I used a mix of cutting wheels and sawzaw. Rounded the edges for strength, shot them with some black epoxy, drilled the holes with a step bit, bolted them in. Done.

Here is the kit out of the box. Comes with everything needed to install. The metal is much thicker than factory frame so it makes me feel ok about reinforcement and rigidity. It's a CPP C-Notch kit, but from Brothers Trucks...

A few shots of the before frame. I got the idea to use two engine stands for a rotisserie from another member. I set it up this way for POR-15. But I was able to support the frame this high while I cut the c-notches. They need to be supported so that during installation you don't bend the frame at the weak point. I also did one side at a time which I'm sure also helped that factor.

Marked for cutting.

Rounded the edges after cut, shot the frame and the new c-notch with a little black epoxy for rust protection and then bolted her in. I learned that you can pretty much line up the holes at the bottom of the frame(these existing frame holes get re-used with the notches) making it easier to install in the correct position. It's almost fool proof

Few final shots...

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 10-07-2019 at 10:58 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote