View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #105
l79m20

Re: 1976 3/4ton 4x4 Shortbed

A friend of mine bought a 67 with a 383 in it and didnt want the motor. We tore his truck apart for his build and he was kind enough to let me have the old motor. I took it home, cleaned it up a bit, nothing like the last one, and crammed it home. Got everything hooked back up, plumbed and wired, and she fired right up. I did manage to get the interior cleaned out again and my new rubber floor mat installed. The only problem I am having now is with getting it timed just right. I can jump in it after its set for a week or more and it will start right up once it gets fuel. It will idle beautifully. When I drive it, it will run ok but then acts like its starving itself for fuel and die. Then it wont even begin to start, and will smell like its flooded. If it doesnt die while driving it will diesel hard before it shuts off. It has a manual choke edelbrock on it. I have read that these carbs tend to run rich. But again, I am not sure its even timed correctly. The guy my friend bought the truck from said it was a 383. It does have aftermarket dart heads on it and roller rockers. Its an80-84 4 bolt 350 block. But i dont have any info on the rest. Any tips would be appreciated.
l79m20 is offline   Reply With Quote