View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #89
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

So while I ponder what to do about the fire wall and trans tunnel. I figured I would button up the back end of the truck with the new fuel tank and shock mounts.

Whoever originally built the truck put the shocks in staggered (one in front of the rear the other behind) which is fine but they were laid down at almost a 30 degree angle. The guy I bought the truck off of said it rode so stiff he took the shocks out and just drove the truck on the leaf springs. I don't have a pic of the old shocks but its no wonder the truck rode so stiff, there was now way the shocks could compress at 30 degrees.

So the fix was simple enough. the TCI leaf kit came with the shock cross member and shocks, so I just threw in some boxing plates, and burned in the mount.

For the fuel tank, I guess theirs about 100 different ways to mount them. I choose to do everything bolt in. I just used some 1 1/4 square stock bolted to the frame for supports. Of course its never as simple as it seems..... Because the front most cross member sits on the kick up part of the frame over the rear, It wouldn't sit level with the rear cross member so I had to notch it on both sides. At least I am getting a lot of welding practice!
I then bolted the tank to the supports. Instead of just directly bolting the tank to the supports I made up some squish plates to sit on top and sandwich everything together. Once I do the final assembly I'll use some kind of rubber inner tube like material in between the cross member, tank, and the plates to keep everything from chaffing. to remove the tank all I have to do is unbolt the rear most cross member from the frame and slide it back about an inch and the tank just drops down.

So that's where i am at as of now. The truck is real close to being mocked up.
Before I tear everything down for sand blasting theirs just a couple of things I want to do. I bought a set of 2" drop spindles from Justin, and some 2" lowering blocks from speedway. I want to throw them at the truck and see what it looks like lowered a bit more. The other thing is, I am still trying to find a trans cross member that I like. I am trying to find one with a 1" drop but it looks like the only ones made start at 2" and go from there. I currently have the tranny temporarily finagled in with a 6" drop but that interferes with the brake booster/master cylinder. I guess I may just have to make one.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote