View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #460
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Well I'm back with a ****ty update. I have had to take the truck off the road to try and resolve my brake issues. Drove the ole girl around for part of the summer but the pedal is just not comfortable. If you remember I never got a good pedal after bleeding, and it got worse after starting the engine. I just can't drive it this way. I actually bought a whole new booster and MC thinking that was my problem but..........NOPE!

I have literally pumped 3 gallons of brake fluid through the system and just can't get a firm pedal. I have taken care of a few minor leaks but that did not seem to help. Yesterday I spent another 2 hours bleeding each wheel but still no pedal. I even went through the trouble of removing the MC and bench bled it another time. Of course there was no air present in the MC

So I am thinking the actual plumbing may be the culprit.......

Is it ok to mount the prop valve in this position? Or is it possible I have air trapped up at the top by the pressure switch for the brakes?

Next I am thinking perhaps I should have run my rear brake lines the traditional way with one line running across the rear. Instead I have them split with one line running to each drum through a thru frame fitting. Is it perhaps I am trying to move to much fluid through these lines?

And a second question........If this plumbingis in fact ok do I need to run a rear residual valve since my lines come thru the frame above the wheel cylinders? I wouldn't think the fluid would be able to run up hill.

paintman is offline   Reply With Quote