Thread: 24v Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #47
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 24v Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
I read through that thread, but I was wondering if the gear on the pump is positively located on the pump shaft, or of it is just a taper and the gear can go where ever you want on the shaft. The timing letters are helpful too.

I did download a few service manuals for Dodge trucks so I have something to reference, but I haven't looked at them yet. I got the 1993 and 1996 manuals since the engine I will have will be from a later vehicle and the pump will be from an earlier one
The injection pump is shaft has a key in it and there is a slot in the gear for the key. Only the P-pumps do not have the key. Unless you pony up and get an adjustable gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
I opened the manual, it looks like I will have to time the pump to the gear since the guy I bought the VE from had removed the pump from the gear housing. :/
You just put the gear in the stock position for a dodge. The service manual will tell you which letter to use. You will want to use a VE cam gear since the P pump cam gear won't have the C like the VE's do. I used my 24v gear and used the stock dot with no issues. As far as timing the pump to the housing, without a spacer you rotate it as close to the head as you can go. That is not over kill by any means. I've been running Denny T pins and am a dealer for them. What turbo do you plan to run? By the way, stock non intercooled nozzles are 4x.010 I think. I usually put a 5x.010 or 5x.012 in them.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote