View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 03:07 AM   #1
Grizz1963

GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project~”

Hi all,

I have been on here a while, my 1966 C10 Fleetside is linked in the signature below.

My name is Rian and I moved to England in August 2002 from South Africa where I was born and grew up.

I like to tinker, and I love cars.

A lot right now will be COPY AND PASTE.

This is the story of........

A 1979 Chevy Blazer.

Rough as a Badgers Butt.

But would you buy it?

V8 Auto

Comments, opinions and suggestions welcome, feel free to add advice, and pointers, and if you know of spares etc...... let me know

Loooong story.

I took that photo in June 2016 when I saw it there while looking at a house with Nicola my ex wife and good friend before she left me.

I loved it then, but never went back, when I did it was gone.

Seller who had it now has been playing with it with his dad (seller is 50+) the last year or so, but had made its MOT (English yearly roadworthy test) test last year and is a driver. But only just.

It certainly is a 40 year old truck, but in the back of my head it could still be a donor for a body swap if all else failed.

All the “Dirtina” as a friend called it, is gone.

Paint is flat and ugly, rust repairs suck, and at least one large hole in the floor (which can be welded up again)

I am certain there will be lots more revealed over time.

Yes, it was parked there for 13 years growing fungus and moss on its glass fibre rear half.

Waiting for insurance company guys to open up so I can speak with a human.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A PROJECT........

I ASKED AROUND ON SOME ENGLISH FORUMS AND GOT VARIOUS REPLIES.

MOSTLY SUPPORTIVE.

Friend Disasterbus (Kerry) said: Personally I don't need it, it's too wide for my drive so I've nowhere to park it, I already have too many cars, I don't have the cash to spare, I don't have the skills to weld it up, I can't afford to run it, it doesn't have 4 seats and it simply isn't practical.

So, following that rational review my decision would be.......

Hell yeah, get it bought, get it home and worry about everything else later!!

It will fit my drive, just.

I have loads of space to park it.

I am selling Prozac, so need a car.

I have cash to spare, banks are not making it worth my while.

I have a new welder.

I can’t afford to run it, or maybe I can.......

It has four seats, technically 5

The rear converts to flatbed truck, tailgate drops, rear roof comes off.

Where do I deliver it???

So, if I were to buy this car.....

It’s name has already been given by DarrenH on here.

Tippex.

Guess why?

Quick video around it.

CLICK LINK.

https://youtu.be/sLldCzEizgo

Yup, it is a big thing.

Driving force.

And yes, aircon has been removed. No concern to me.

So now you have a better idea of what I am looking at.

Love the electric rear glass, operated from dash or with key in tailgate.

I have been looking at another vehicle to replace Prozac.......

Absolutely no reason to escalate my private motoring costs at all but the itch is always there.

Now we know that I have the 1966 C10 Chevy truck in “kit form” in my garage, and it is patient and I will get to it, in my own time.

Yes, really.

When I am ready.

Mate Martin gave me a heads up on a 1979 Chevy K5 Blazer in 2wd form last week (Thanks Mate #sarcastic mode) which I then went to see on the way home Friday night and again for more than two hours on Saturday afternoon. I have no interest in 4x4 cars at all.

Turns out that I saw this car in June 2016 and still have a photo I took at the time as I really liked it then.
But of course life, death and taxes plus a divorce got in the way.

I also started a question thread here: which has generated a lot of comments and opinions, all valid of course and much appreciated as I am the KING OF DITHERERS when it comes to this sort of thing.

Below a quote from Disasterbus with my responses to his points.

[quote author="@disasterbus" source="/post/2450544/thread" timestamp="1538210550"]Personally I don't need it, it's too wide for my drive so I've nowhere to park it, I already have too many cars, I don't have the cash to spare, I don't have the skills to weld it up, I can't afford to run it, it doesn't have 4 seats and it simply isn't practical.

So, following that rational review my decision would be.......

Hell yeah, get it bought, get it home and worry about everything else later!!
[/quote]

It will fit my drive, just.

I have loads of space to park it.

I am selling Prozac, so need a car.

I have cash to spare, banks are not making it worth my while.

I have a new welder.

I can’t afford to run it, or maybe I can.......

It has four seats, technically you can fit 5 people.

The rear converts to flatbed truck, tailgate drops, rear roof comes off

Where do I deliver it???

And no, it still was not enough motivation to get me to just randomly hand over cash. Even a half an hour on the phone to @kevfromwales had me thinking it’s a great idea. Yet I woke this morning wondering if this little Berlingo that has been running and performing faultlessly for 19 months as an adjunct to my company car Ford Focus for when dirty jobs needed doing, really needed to be replaced with a Big, Dirty, Nasty Fossil Fuel Guzzling Monster that would be costing me pretty much 10 times as much to run and own than the Berlingo.

Not the car in question, though it is American too.

Prozac stood in the background, truly Kicked to the Curb, looking on as I fawned over the bid smelly beast for hours.

Tailgate too drops, turning it into a cavernous skip on wheels.

Love the electric rear glass, operated from dash or with key in tailgate

Inside the rear bench can fold forward or be unbolted too.

Folded forward access via front passenger seat.

I spent about 30 minutes under it, and the only rust was this hole in the corner by the drivers footwell.

The rest of the underside is shockingly rustfree.

Fenders and hood, conversely are rough, rotten but absolutely functional.

This does not scare me. Couple of hours cutting, welding, undersealing and job done.

Where your wallet goes to get raped.

Current miles

Last edited by Grizz1963; 11-03-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote