View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #36
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Does the wishbone telescope in and out?
You're exactly correct! If you look closely at where the locator is attached to the pumpkin, you can see it is a rod and sleeve type of assembly instead of a solid piece. This allows free telescoping and pivoting movement at the pinion centerline, but side-to-side movement remains extremely limited. There will be a grease zerk in the sleeve so it can be lubed up from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev3600 View Post
Any mods planned for the 5.3?
Yes, a couple things. The 5.3L is a really solid motor, but the torque curve could be lower for my preference. So, going to use long tube headers. Also plan to use a carb intake and an EZ EFI system. This may sound dumb, but there are a couple reasons. One, this will bring the torque band down compared to the stock style intake. More importantly to me, the look under the hood - I want the benefits of an EFI system, but really prefer the looks of a carb intake and air cleaner under the hood. The ignition coils will also be hidden so standard style valve covers can be used. The appearance of the motor this way is important to me because it all affects the character of the truck once the project is complete.

Will also upgrade the valve springs and swap to a different cam better suited to low end torque. All these things will also bump the HP some, as well.

The lower end torque is important to me because the truck is never going to the drag strip or anything like that - will be used just cruising and having some fun with around town. So, we won't often see those really high RPMs. So, I want to bring the motor's torque curve lower where I will get more use out of it.

Now, one other idea I'm kicking around is, Wiseco sells a set of rods and pistons that allows you to keep the stock bore and install a longer 4-inch stroke crank. This would stroke the motor to a displacement of 359, and the longer stroke again is nice for lower/mid torque. Part of me thinks this could be a fun and fairly unique modification, but it also might be overkill. Will continue thinking/dreaming about that one!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by torchlight; 01-26-2013 at 12:21 PM.
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote