Thread: project 39
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2022, 09:00 PM   #105
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: project 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
so i received the "chrome" hood hinge friday last week. number 1 it is not chrome but a low grade of stainless i assume, it is magnetic but has that stainless grain look. it really doesnt fit anything correctly. 2 the holes do not line up which it did say in the description, 3 the ends do not fit into the hood ornament or the rear holder. i started cutting and bending it to fit and then decided i had enough of it for now. i am going to use the original gm hinge and have it chromed. i will just this one on the 40 that i am going to put together to sell. 39-40 original hinges are hard to come by being the are usually broken on the ends. the one that is on the truck now is a combo of the 40 hinge and a cut down 46 hinge. it fits and works so i will use it.
I've been reading through this thread, and admiring all the great work you are doing. 30 years ago, I did some stuff, but not nearly as nice. Going to be a cool rig when you are done. If that SS is magnetic, it is 400 series and it will rust because of the lower chromium content. 300 series SS is non-magnetic. I'd also like to plug a site I am a member of-

https://www.allmetalshaping.com/index.php

If there is anything anyone would want to know about forming metal, they should check it out. There is some absolutely amazing stuff done there. Your work would be a welcome addition! My handle over there is DarkLightning. All I've posted so far was a copper shape I made many years ago.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote