View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #40
Nick_R_23

Re: 1978 Chevy K20 longbed with nearly 500,000 miles! LS Swap begins!

Thank you, I agree. It's nice knowing everything is in good shape under there, even if it's not seen.

So, EXCELLENT start to the weekend! The Holley Terminator X arrived! I'm stoked to try this out, the reviews have been great so far. It's essentially supposed to be a replacement for the junkyard ECU/swap harnesses with much more tuning capability. I also got two sensors, one for oil pressure and one to read fuel pressure, as well as a quick connect to 3/8" hose adapter.

My lower battery tray support showed up. The last piece to move the battery over to the driver's side.

The shift boot trim ring also came in for the transmission shifter.

The CPP steering box flare-to-oring adapters arrived too.

I did some junkyard scouting and scored this hydroboost manual pedal! I didn't really plan on this conversion, but for $10...that's hard to say no to!

I also came across an uncut set of battery cables for a 99-02 Chevy, these should work perfectly with the driver's side battery!

Back to the truck, I decided the harness still wasn't complete, so I tied the grounds together and added a single termination point for the frame, and also ran it to the front to connect to a forward ground point. Shouldn't have any ground issues with this setup!

Next up, I started on transferring the hole for the clutch master cylinder. I took a thin piece of cardboard, scissors, and pen to the junkyard and traced out the area out using the harness hole as a guide.

Cut out.

Not too bad of a fit!

Outline traced out, and verified against the online template measurements. I had to adjust my template slightly to the right, but otherwise it was pretty spot on!

Cut out the holes, I believe this was 1.25" that needed to be ovalled.

The clutch pedal itself had a deep groove worn into the pin where the clutch slave rode.

I removed the pedal and built some weld up along the worn groove. The weld is harder than the material, and should prevent the spot from wearing back out as quickly.

Perfect fit!

Oh yeah, I picked up a new clutch master cylinder to test fit this!

I started painting the pedal box, pedals, and all related parts.

Getting ready to install the new bushings and pedal pads.

Fresh bushings and grease....mmmm!

Pedal box reassembled!

I removed the gas pedal for the same treatment, and drilled and tapped the housing as a place to mount the fuel pump relay block up and out of the way.

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote