View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
2fast55

Re: Needed a new toy. Why a Blazer? Why NOT a Blazer?!?!

I fired up the pressure washer and did some light cleaning, and started stripping it down for rust repair and lots of new parts. All the rubbers are bad, and the wiring harness is getting replaced too. If the age wasn't enough, previous owners' "fixes" were the last straw; the harnesses had been hacked, spliced, repaired, bypassed, and added onto more times than I wanted to deal with. The rust doesn't appear to be too bad. Just the inner and outer rocker panels, and a little bit into the edge of the floor. Windshield should be coming out soon so I can get a good look at the frame. I know it's rusty, but still don't know how bad. The factory A/C box was all broken on the interior side, and was held in with bungee cords and vented through pvc pipe and duct tape. Most of the A/C system is long gone, so I will probably just skip it and run a standard heat-only box from another truck we have. Who needs A/C when you have a convertible? Some nice aluminum wheels and good tires are on the list to replace the trashed 31s that look silly under a 6" lift. The top will need a fair amount of repair, and the rear hatch is broken into several pieces (most of them are still there) and will require major surgery to work again. I might just hunt down a soft top to run until I find a better hatch or fix the one I have.

A previous owner went a little crazy with the spraybombs on this one. So far, I have found red, blue, gold, and even hot pink on various parts of the chassis, not to mention all the flat black covering almost every visible surface.

Sorted parts to see what was there. It turns out I have way more door glass than I will ever use, and even some parts that don't fit blazers. I still need to check if the driveshafts will work with the lift, or if I will have to have them rebuilt.

Had to get the new harness while the rebate was still on...

Hopefully I can get the garage cleaned out pretty soon and it can go inside for some serious progress.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein
2fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote