View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Dleslie212

Re: Help choosing rear end parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
I would rebuild the entire axle with a new ring and pinion and a master rebuild kit which includes new bearings and seals. 11 pinion teeth and 41 ring gear teeth is a 3.73 gear. As far as axle shafts go, I would pull them and look at the splines for damage or if they are twisted up. Also check your outer axle bearings and replace the seals while you are there.

For the kind of driving you do, I would strongly recommend a Eaton TrueTrac limited slip. This is a excellent posi that does not have clutch packs to wear out and you run just regular gear oil with no additives for the clutch packs found in other limited slip units. The TrueTrack uses a helical gear design. The g80 was marginal at best even when new I would ditch it. I have a TrueTrac in the front 10 bolt in my 81 k10 and it has been flawless and I wish I put one in the rear of my truck instead of the Detroit locker.

Rebuilding a rear end is not a task for beginners as you do need some specialty tools such as a dial indicator. I would strongly recommend you take the axle or truck to a shop to do the work. It is possible to do yourself but like I said not for a novice mechanic or beginner.
The TeueTrac is actually one I had been looking at already, and I think you just solidified it for me.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-913a315

Does the above look correct for my application?

As far as taking it to a shop, I really want to do this myself. The whole point of buying this truck last year was for the learning experience. I’m fairly mechanically inclined, so I’m confident I can get it done. Although it will probably take me waaaay too long to finish it correctly
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote