View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #83
Vic1947

Re: 1968 Chevrolet SWB Stepside Restomod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Once I get it driving I will need to decide if a steering box upgrade is in order, the current one is a stock turning ratio and with a 14" steering wheel I may need to go with a quick ratio and if the happens I will send it off to Red Head to get it done right.
My steering box was worn out, so during the build I swapped it for a rebuilt quick ratio that is 2.75 turns lock to lock. Turning radius suffered quite a bit as the result although the truck handled much better on the road. TR isn't that big a thing for me, but something you might consider. I've been using a 15" steering wheel I robbed off another project. Based on your recommendation, I just bought a 14" half wrap wheel from Forever Sharp. I haven't had it out yet to see how it works, but mathematically, the smaller diameter should increase response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I like the idea of building an chevy engine that will take higher RPMs, something in the 8,000 to 8,500 range, a possible candidate is a 327 but I will explore my options.
Wow, as an ancient drag racer, I can say that rpm is Modified Production territory ...great for the strip but difficult to manage on the street. If you go this route, be prepared to run a 4.88 or 5.13 gear, steel rods, forged pistons, roller cam, valve springs that last about 100 miles and a whole host of other expensive parts. Even then it's only a matter of time until something scatters, usually at the most inopportune moment.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote