View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #91
knomadd

Re: Knomadd '71 SWB C-10

Here's where I got too involved to take pictures...

You'll want to replace your power steering pump if you feel it is unable to perform at its best. I did because it leaked a little and was a bit beat up.

The hydratech kit I bought came with stainless braided teflon line, AN fittings and adapters and some standard hose for return line from the booster to the pump. I decided to put a black nylon cover over the braided line to be consistent with the wiring and fuel line sleeves (black, not metallic). It's a lot easier to do this now while the lines are not installed.

Here's what it looks like.

The high pressure feed line from the pump goes to the hydroboost, then back to the steering box. The low pressure return line uses a "t" fitting to connect the return from the hydroboost and the steering box to the pump.

The brass fitting is the return line.

You'll have to bleed the power steering system and check for leaks. It took me two days to figure out where the leaks were coming from and how to stop them. Once you've got the system filled with fluid, put the front on jack stands and cycle the steering from lock to lock for 10-20 cycles, checking fluid levels along the way. DO NOT let the fluid level get too low or you'll have to start over. You're trying to get all of the air out of the system.

If it foams, let it sit for 30 min and check it again. If it's still foamy, come back in another 30 min. Once you've got all the air out of the system and fluid levels are consistent, disable the ignition and crank the engine for 5 seconds. Check for leaks and fluid level and repeat. Again, if it's foamy, come back in 30 min.

Once you have consistent fluid levels and no air, start the truck and let it idle until you get to operating temp. This should take about 15-20 minutes (may be different depending on climate and cooling system condition).

After it's warmed up, slowly apply pressure to the brake pedal 5-6 times to allow the fluid into the booster. If your pump growls at you, stop and let the foamy fluid dissipate. Check fluid levels and repeat as necessary. It is a good idea to shut off the engine and check the fluids after the first couple of pumps on the pedal.

Once you have no air bubbles in the fluid, you are good to go. Take the truck on a low speed test drive (be careful because you don't know that everything is good yet). It's a good idea to test your brakes in your driveway a few times before you go on the streets. Don't drive very far (5 miles is plenty) and park it somewhere safely over night (in your driveway or garage preferably) and check fluid levels and for leaks. Check for leaks and fluid levels again the next day. If everything checks out, you're done. Go drive it and enjoy the new ability to STOP!

Doesn't that feel better?! Night and day difference in my case.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)

Last edited by knomadd; 07-13-2017 at 03:33 PM.
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote