View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
Rocky98Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
You're welcome Rocky!

The TPS voltages looks good.

Then the IAC is working at least some because it is used to get the fast idle when started cold.

If the IAC did not work at all they tend to load up, or flood, when you try to start them, if you do not hold the gas pedal down.

The IAC still could need to be replaced, and I can't make the call without being there. We will not rule it out yet.

I would not order any parts yet. No part stands out as being the problem for sure.

The truck in the link I posted for photos has the same part number on the EGR valve as your truck. Make a note for future reference that your truck has a Port EGR system. Very few poeple will know how to test it.

I would test the fuel pressure, but it is not easy because there is no test port on these TBI trucks and the pressure should be tested with the engine running.

I would look in the distributor.
On these distributors the housing/upper bushing area can get so worn out that the shaft will move sideways so far that the points on the pickup coil pole piece get hit by the reluctor points on the shaft. When this happens the ECM receives compromised signal for RPM and timing issues.

If there is oil coming up the shaft and getting out onto the pickup coil – replace the distributor.

These distributors can also have problems because of loss of magnetism needed for the pickup coil to work.
If the magnetic material on the shaft in the reluctor wheel area is cracked into pieces replace the shaft or the whole distributor.

Photo of cracked magnet in this thread:
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...e0b728a96e45b/

Keep looking until we find something that looks like a problem. Your communication skills are great so we should keep working at this instead of taking a guess and buying parts.
I opened up the distributor cap to have a closer look inside. As I mentioned above, the entire assembly was replaced last year. I don't see any play in the shaft and the wear on the cap itself is minimal. I did notice that some of my ground points looked corroded. The thermostat ground was already cleaned by my mechanic last year and I've gone ahead and cleaned up the alternator harness ground point and replaced the ground cable from the battery to the engine block as I had a new cable from a previous project on hand.

One thing I did notice was that the coolant level in the radiator was down about one liter. I topped it up about 3000 miles ago and it needed topping up again today. I don't have any external leaks and my oil does not appear to have water in it. Could this indicate a bad intake gasket and if so, could that contribute to stalling at idle?

I think I can borrow a tee adaptor to check the fuel pressure. I would like to rule it out and will report back once I check the pressure

Thank you once again,
Rocky
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Rocky98Formula is offline   Reply With Quote