View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
bsccp

Re: 51 GMC 5 window+S10+5.3/4l60E

Bed disassembly: Never having taken one apart and working by myself it seemed logical to start on one side and work my way across.

Since every single nut and bolt was rusted I started with the passenger side fender and running board. The fender had some front rust but had been hit a couple of times. Nothing serious but ratty.

Then went to the bedside. That was a totally different story. Front panel and support were rusted badly on the bottom so was the bedside. Cut off the support rail bolts and lifted it off. That gave me access to the bed lumber and strips.

I tried several different approaches to removing the bolts and went back to the old standby. Grinder with cuf off wheels. Cut the heads off (there seemed like a thousand by the time I got done) and worked my way across to the passenger side. Original lumber, still painted black on the bottom side.
I may reassemble the bed this way. Way easier to handle the pieces and should still be able to get to the new lumber and strips by doing a row at a time.

Drivers side came off easier but the two rear bolts on the rear fenders are kinda tucked away so that earned some foul language.

Cab disassembly: Doors first. One still had glass so I tried to save it in case I wanted a local shop to use it as a template. Never mind, way too difficult to remove. Lots of penetrating spray to save the regulators and not destroy the door, hinges or sheetmetal. Did well till I got to the vent windows. Definitely an art form. One has to pay attention to all the trim. I bagged and tagged all the trim pieces and screws. Will replace all the trim screws with new. I successfully removed all but one door jam bolt. Between the impact driver, penetrating oil, and bolt extractor the rest came out ok. The striker screws were a little tougher. Had to drill out one screw on each side top so that I could remove the backing bar and remove the striker!

At this point the headliner was sorta still in place but after seeing several spiders I decided to finish removing the support brace and front and rear trims pieces. Have I mentioned how much dirt was in the cab? If not I will probably mention it several more times. As I said earlier, I was looking for a truck that had been "down in the dirt" and brother did I get my wish. I had already power washed the entire truck before putting it in the shop but that only removed the external dirt! Not the 20 poiunds inside the cab.
Attached Images

bsccp is offline   Reply With Quote