View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
SRT8-X

Re: '69 C10 327 SBC Off Idle Stumble / Misfire Help - I feel like I've tried EVERYTHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
It sounds like once the carb transitions off the idle and primary circuit that it clears up. I too would be looking at jetting up and 4 sizes seems to be a good start.

Before that, try adding two full turns on the mixture screws to richen up the idle mixture and see if that doesn’t improve things.

I assume that all of these issues are at a steady throttle application and not when you are “punching it”? Sudden application of throttle and response issues are usually because of insufficient accelerator pump shot. But Edelbrocks are not as affected usually because of the secondary air door that keeps from giving too much air that the accelerator pump can’t make up for it.

Great looking truck BTW.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to get a new Edelbrock tuning kit, the one I have is an older Carter AFB which does not seem to interchange numbers with the Performer carbs. I've played with the step up springs and metering rods but will try jetting the carb when I get the new kit.

I have adjusted the idle mixture screws every which way and until they're bottomed out or removed completely, there is not much change at idle.

I'm thinking about replacing the accelerator pump as well just to make sure. Punching the throttle does not do much off idle, it bogs and sputters however at a 30 MPH roll, punching it seems to be fine. That's what is baffling to me, still in a lower RPM cruise range punching it will allow good take off, just not from a really low speed or take off from a dead stop.

Thank you again for the comments, much appreciated.
2000 JEEP Cherokee Sport XJ 4x4 4.0/4A (RUBY, son #2)
2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition 1.8T/6A (GRAU GEIST, son #1)
2016 BMW X5 xDrive50i MSport 4.4L N63/8A (SCHNEEWITTCHEN)
SRT8-X is offline   Reply With Quote