View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
FirstOwner69

Re: Correct wiring on '70

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dst0ck View Post
Trying to work out all the wiring issues with this truck we just picked up.

I rewired the battery and fusibile link and now the truck is staying on with the ignition off and key removed.

-Fusbile link to post on passenger firewall
-Red power wire from post to the firewall (ignition hot)
-Red power wire on left side connected directly to battery crossing over to alternator
EDIT: Sounds like you may have solved the riddle while I was typing this...

I've been hesitant to respond to this thread since I am no expert. However, when I compare the original wiring on my 69 to your first picture I see significant differences. The first question that pops into my mind is "why so many wires hooked to the positive battery post"? My 69 only has the battery cable and the fusible link running from the positive post. The battery cable goes to the starter and the fusible link goes to the junction block on the fender. There are only 3 other wires attached to the junction block: (1) A 12 gauge red that runs through the conduit on top of the core support to driver's side and eventually to the alternator. (2) A 16 or 18 gauge black with white stripe wire (alternator shunt if I remember correctly) that also runs through the core support conduit with a short 4 amp fuse (fuse holder you show in post 2) at each end (3) A 12 gauge red (which you wouldn't have unless you have the camper harness) which is the hot wire for my factory installed camper wiring harness that gets clipped to a lip on the core support.

The wire you mention that confuses me most is the one you describe as "-Red power wire from post to the firewall (ignition hot)". Where does go when it gets to the firewall?

The first picture below shows my junction box from the back side. The second picture shows one of the fuse holders at each end of the alternator shunt wire and a factory soldered junction that is bundled in the tape wrapped harness behind the left headlight. If you look closely you can see where the black with white stripe alternator shunt wire terminates. IF I recall correctly red wires run from here to the alternator and voltage regulator.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote