View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
toolboxchev

Re: Seeking some info on wiring harness

I just rebuild a complete underdash harness using 4 old ones including the fuse panel

It is a painstaking process but what the heck, I paid 80 bucks for 3 used ones plus the one in my truck.

Cleaned all the contacts, making sure corrosion if any was completely brushed away. Sprayed with Electrical contact cleaner, Or Electric Motor cleaner which is more chemically suited, at least to me.

All the plastic ends were pulled apart, and scrubed out, Dawn dishwashing soap, and small gun bore brushes, plastic kind.

Finally when assembled I utilized a DVOM to measure resistance across the contacts and found most of the old stuff was of very little resistance if any. I did solder a few of the Packard connectors just to insure a positive connection.

Only problem I have now is needing a Heater only blower motor, or upgrading with a relay to pull full power high speed from the engine compartment.

If you see a mess of corrosion in the ends of a connector it may grow up under the plastic cover and into the wire, you will see this most commonly in battery cable ends.

It is doable. It does take some time. I prefer to reuse anything I get my hands on.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote